The FUT hair transplant is a procedure that involves removing follicular units through a thin, horizontal strip and then broken down from this strip under a microscope in effect means that they are taken apart. So once this process has been concluded, the units are further inserted right into the recipient area. FUT is also called the Strip hair transplant treatment technique, while the FUE, called the follicular unit extraction is that type in which the hair follicles are taken out in the form of strip from the donor region. In this procedure, the minute clusters of hair are extracted from the donor area in a strip and spread into the recipient area, which is the region suffering from hair loss. In essence, these units are naturally occurring and which invariably tends to replicate natural growth in the recipient area if it undergoes proper transplant. However, this procedure practically connotes a lengthy and intensive process, but then, the effects are relatively worth it. Prior to the use of follicular transplant, large grafts of hair were being removed in groups by clinical surgeons in FUT clinics but one issue associated with the outcome of this technique is that the follicular units could get damaged which could invariably affect hair growth. The application of this procedure by FUT doctors procedure will create outcomes which are natural looking in appearance and come out with the right proportion of hair density. Below is how the FUT process is applied and which involves placing the follicular units in the following manner:
- Places single hair units at the front of your hairline
- Places 2 hair units behind the hairline
- Places 3 hair units behind the 2 hair units
- Then places 4 hair units behind the 3 hair units
It is imperative to know that at least a maximum of about 4,000 hairs follicles can be transplanted in a single session and the clinical surgeon will make use highly sterilized clips or stitches to seal up the incision from the region where the follicles were extracted. But it is better to know these things upfront so you are aware of what can go wrong. A patient must also realize the potential risks associated with seeking solutions with the help of different hair transplant procedures as well as the cost to access or have it done. These possible complications/risks include:
- Poor/slow hair growth: may be as a result of damage to the follicles.
- Infection: this is extremely rare as antibiotics are prescribed before and after surgery.
- Noticeable scarring: the surgeon will try and place the incision in an appropriate part of the donor area so that it difficult to see.
- Poor wound healing: genetics can play a part in this and some people do heal more quickly than others.
- Changes in the pigmentation of the skin: there is a risk of hyper-pigmentation (darkening) to the skin although this is very rare.
However, a follicular unit transplant procedure can be a two stage process which is as follows:
- The stage one: follicular units are removed either as a ‘strip’ or via direct extraction (FUE)
- The stage two: these units are then inserted into the bald area of the scalp
The disadvantages of the FUT hair transplant procedure are as follows:
- This procedure is surgical so basically stitches are used to cover the incisions in the donor area from where the strip of hair is extracted, causing extensive delay in recovery and a patient can have problems sleeping comfortably.
- Infections can possibly occur in the stitched region either when they mistakenly split for any reason or from unprofessional job done and this can affect recovery time for a longer.
- Due to the stitches, scars can practically remain on scalp for a whole lifetime and can destroy a person’s self confidence by invariably spoiling the looks.
- Absorbable stitches can most times take a longer period to heal, thus giving problems to the patient in terms of time and resources expended.
However, every clinical procedure carried out at FUT clinics is known to have a relative amount of risk, and so it is in other countries of the world. This is a highly successful and safe surgical procedure, and while FUT cost of the procedure is relatively cheap in Indian clinics but then it is dependent on each potential patient requiring the treatment.